Sunday, January 31, 2010

january sewing challenge :: something for me

12monthsewingchallenge

Early in the year, just after I’d set my goals for 2010, I stumbled across Carolyn’s sewing challenge. One of the sewing goals that I had set for myself was to “make at least one thing for myself (to wear!)” and there it was Carolyn’s January challenge - “something for me”. Still recovering from Ms. M’s first birthday, Christmas and New Year which had all occurred in the fortnight and knowing that the third birthday season was looming I was reluctant to sign up. Still the challenge was always in the back of my mind niggling away.

At the last minute I signed up. Last night I started sewing a dress and this morning I finished it off…a dress for me

Phew… I just finished it in time!

I used a McCall’s pattern M5832 because there was a buy one get one free special on at the time I purchased. Initially I had been interested in M5659 but the difference in price exceed $10. From what I can tell it looks like essentially the same pattern only the dress is fuller in the latter version. I chose the design of the dress because it looked casual and comfortable and I could wear my maternity bra. It wasn’t until 2330hrs last night as I was starting to sew on the yoke that it occurred to me that I wouldn’t be breastfeeding in this garment. Ah – not to worry – Ms. M mostly feeds first thing of a morning and last thing of a night. If she wants another feed she is pretty easily distracted with snacks!!!

This is almost* the first garment that I have finished sewing for myself – ever! I’m very stoked with how it turned out even if my son did make a passing remark about the pretty tent that I was wearing. The feeling of accomplishment totally rocks – and of course there is the added bonus that I’ve just completed a challenge.

I had already achieved my 2010 goal “make at least one thing for myself (to wear!)” earlier in the week when I made these lounge pants one evening:lounge pantsSewing Green by Betz White 

I got the pattern for the pants from the book Sewing Green by Betz White that I recently borrowed from the library. The pants were really quick and easy – a project started and completed within the evening. The purple floral is a flannelette sheet that I picked up at the op shop and the cuff was part of my treasure from the vintage sheet swap that I participated in last year. I’ve been wearing them of an evening ever since!

So – to review my 2010 goal: I have now made something to wear, and worn it. Now I think I should up the ante and make something that I wear further afield than the street in which we live. I’m so pleased with the dress I think I should be able to achieve this goal in the not too distant future.

Head on over to Carolyn’s to see more completed January Sewing Challenges.

* which actually makes it the second garment – but I decided that second doesn’t sound as good as “almost first”!

15 comments:

  1. nice work sally, the dress is really cute. The best thing is you sew to suit yourself and you can have a perfect fit. I have a similar goal, to make an item of clothing for myself I just wasn't brave enought to give myself a deadline. I was thinking of starting with scrubs for work, it's just a question of when.... eek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dress - especially the contrast trim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in awe of all that you have been doing this month Sal - photography, garments, crochet, constant posting. Well done, the dress/tent?! looks gorgeous. Too shy to show it on? (I hate mirror portraits myself...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous creations. I love the yoke detail on the dress with that little pleat at the front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is an awsome dress. Def something I'd be willing to pay for in he shops :) Better than most things I see in the shops come to think of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great dress...I would love to see it on? please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that dress! Love the little pleat at the bust of it, totally cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work. Love the choice of fabrics. I used to make stuff for myself all the time, now I have a littl'un, all I do is make stuff for her instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did Moa tell you that after seeing that Sewing Green book at your house, we found and bought one on eBay? When you come over, you can try and pry it out of her hands or get another one on eBay (easier than bookshops for this title).

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohyeah and I am currently planning on making lounge pants for myself, the kids and possibly Nooshin if I get the hang of it. Been reading the instructions and am a bit confused over the way to sew the cuffs on, but then again I haven't even started anything ATM so have time to figure it out.

    oh, what I did want to ask though was if I can copy the pattern for the dress. It looks easy enough for me to try as a first dress made (not counting the one I made in year 8 ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote with Sophie for an on viewing. It looks great. I think that the great thing abou this sort of thing is that it gives you a mental deadline otherwise the 'mum' stuff gets pushed to the back of the queue. You are off to a great start in the mama clothes making!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those lounge pants. I found some flanelette sheets identical to the ones i had on my childhood bed and am looking forward to making some pants out of them....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the dress and the pants. With the addition of the new sewing machine you will be the best dressed Mumma around!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.