I did it!
Finally I finished crocheting the little birdie that I started about a fortnight ago. The little “one hour” project turned into an experience that resembled climbing a great mountain rather than a stroll in the park. The upside – the corresponding sense of satisfaction.
This little red robin is my fourth start at this project. Blue bird, white bird and pink bird were all abandoned. It turns out the yarn, acrylic or wool, wasn’t the problem after all. Nope. It err… *face redder than the little birdie himself* …it would seem that …um… I was crocheting the wrong stitch!!! D’OH! Yep, I’m not even sure if the stitch I was using even really exists, effectively I was attempting to crochet a little birdie in a type of slip stitch! D’OH D’OH!
Yesterday morning I was lying in bed moaning (to myself … the others were all sick and tired of listening to my birdie ‘issues’) that I still just didn't get it. The apparently simple project just felt like a mammoth task- why wasn't it working??? Everything I had crocheted to date looked too tight, and frankly it was hurting my fingers to make!!! (neither Megan or Amanda had ‘fessed up to blisters so why were my hands suffering so?)
... and then, like a bolt out of nowhere it hit me! I was doing the wrong stitch!!! The American v. Australian crochet terminology completely does my head in. So much so that I was developing my very own take on the jargon.
So I started again. Out came yet another small bundle of yarn – a red acrylic – and away I hooked. This time it took no longer than three and half hours for my little birdie to hatch (keeping in mind that I was super familiar with the pattern up to round 15!)
Now I am buzzing. Absolutely pleased as punch with myself. I didn’t give up. I didn’t get too stressed out about it (but I did moan & groan)… I just kept thinking about it. Persisted in trying new things and finally my brain and hands came together to produce something that is now rather special to me. As it is said, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.