Monday, June 21, 2010

a bird in the hand

a bird in the hand
I did it!
Finally I finished crocheting the little birdie that I started about a fortnight ago. The little “one hour” project turned into an experience that resembled climbing a great mountain rather than a stroll in the park. The upside – the corresponding sense of satisfaction.
This little red robin is my fourth start at this project. Blue bird, white bird and pink bird were all abandoned. It turns out the yarn, acrylic or wool, wasn’t the problem after all. Nope. It err… *face redder than the little birdie himself* …it would seem that …um… I was crocheting the wrong stitch!!! D’OH! Yep, I’m not even sure if the stitch I was using even really exists, effectively I was attempting to crochet a little birdie in a type of slip stitch! D’OH D’OH!
Yesterday morning I was lying in bed moaning (to myself … the others were all sick and tired of listening to my birdie ‘issues’) that I still just didn't get it. The apparently simple project just felt like a mammoth task- why wasn't it working??? Everything I had crocheted to date looked too tight, and frankly it was hurting my fingers to make!!! (neither Megan or Amanda had ‘fessed up to blisters so why were my hands suffering so?)
... and then, like a bolt out of nowhere it hit me! I was doing the wrong stitch!!! The American v. Australian crochet terminology completely does my head in. So much so that I was developing my very own take on the jargon.
So I started again. Out came yet another small bundle of yarn – a red acrylic – and away I hooked.  This time it took no longer than three and half hours for my little birdie to hatch (keeping in mind that I was super familiar with the pattern up to round 15!)
Now I am buzzing. Absolutely pleased as punch with myself. I didn’t give up. I didn’t get too stressed out about it (but I did moan & groan)… I just kept thinking about it. Persisted in trying new things and finally my brain and hands came together to produce something that is now rather special to me. As it is said, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

19 comments:

  1. ... and so you should be it's gorgeous, totally gorgeous, love the red ;-) Can't crochet, tried, don't get it, so you've got me - where can I order a gross or ten???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yay! and what a sweet little Robin s/he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH well done to you! It's totally ACE! Woohoo!

    I'm the same as you. I would have to keep thinking about it trying to work out the problem. Glad you figured it out. Yeah I agree about the diff categories. I tend to use the american stitches! I think I do anyway! lol

    Now how about the complete family of robins?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hah, well done! he looks gorgeous and ... you created a new stitch. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on not tossing it into a corner! And he just looks gorgeous - I am totally going to have to learn to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo!! It looks very worth all the moaning and groaning ;-)

    The whole UK/US terminology thing is VERY confusing - sometimes it feels like you need a brain transplant every time you start a new pattern! Good on you for persevering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute. Definitely worth having stuck to it. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. welcome little robin! Well done Sal. I agree with the US/UK terminology, it is a pain and confuses things. I also find that different books/magazines that I have read have different ways of doing some stitches, that seems weird to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A+++ for persistence!!! Well done for finishing and he is so cute!! I hate the way the american terminology is different and I am always messing up that way as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this account of your crochet experience! I had the same kind of Eureka moment a few months back when I discovered exactly the same thing - I was trying to do slip stitches every time and, get this, actually into the loops of the stitches like you do into the chain when making the 2nd row, rather than under the stitches (does that make sense?) - basically I was making life very hard for myself and gave up fast! It was in a book that had the steps marked with little arrows pointing exactly to the spot where the hook goes that the light switched on in my head! Good luck with future projects - I've not attempted anything as brave as a bird yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY!!!! i am so proud of you for persisting, you must have been getting so frustrated! But your little birdie is just perfect, however he or she does definitely need a name to celebrate properly.

    Your birdie is ever so very very amazingly cute, now I want to make a red one!!

    I think you should definitely have a go at the scarf now too, waaay easier (if you use the right stitch), the only thing I've been making sure of is to count my stitches each row and putting a marker at the end so I know where to stop so that I don't start increasing my rows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Perservere and you shall succeed. The bird is just beautiful and proof that the desire to succeed is alive and well xxxx I haven't even had a look at the pattern yet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, good on YOU for persisting! The little guy is very cute and worth the moaning. Your issues sound like what my entire experience has been with crochet - befuddling from beginning to end. Good to know it can still happen even when you 'get' crochet. Or perhaps even a further deterent for me to ever bother again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And he is beautiful. Yay for perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is really cute. well done for figuring out what was going wrong! i too have been challenged by the minefield that is cross-cultural crochet terminology. these days, i try to remember to check where my pattern is from before i start...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh congratulations! He/she is so adorable. Good on you for persistence.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.