Saturday, October 16, 2010

meet victor

This is my window sill in the grey room, it is next to the rickety old table that my sewing machine is on. It is a very useful window sill – home to my scissors, threads, sewing machine feet and a lot of other bits and bobs. It is also home to the only photo I have of my maternal grandmother (my mother isn’t very good at sharing!)

nan in china

The photo was taken when she was in China. I’m not sure exactly when it was but pre-Tiananmen Square protests in 1989 (I think!). Nan was rather audacious, you would be to ask the zoo keeper if you could give a panda a cuddle wouldn’t you? I guess you just don’t know if you don’t ask and much to my grandmother’s pleasure the zoo keeper obliged.  Isn’t it a great shot?  Certainly deserving of a better frame than that mildewing paper one I picked up in Bali last millennium.

As a child Nan tried on a number of occasions to teach me how to knit. Eventually she resigned herself to the fact that I was a lost cause – a non-knitter. I thought that failing to learn how to knit meant that I wouldn’t be able to do any yarny crafts. It wasn’t until last year that I started to learn to crochet …and now look what I’ve made:

my new panda friendMeet Victor!

He is a bit wonky and completely unsymmetrical, but he has a kind heart and a wry sense of humour.

I named the panda Victor after my Nan’s first husband. She divorced him after learning that he was infertile and then went on to name her first child with my grandfather Vicki (after the ex! … like I told you she was pretty audacious).

with me as I sew 

Victor has joined Nan sitting on the window sill. A new friend to keep me company as I sew. I wonder what she’d have thought of him. I’ll never know.

18 comments:

  1. LOL your grandmum sounds like a funny lady, I'd say you have more of her than your mum in you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story! I'm sure your Nan would be so pleased to see Victor sitting on your window sill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just the most awesome photos in the world to have of your Nan! I love it!! the best thing about handmade/ home made toys is that they are a bit wonky...Victor is perfect. Well done Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of your Nan. I would have loved her!!

    Victor is pretty cute, too. (We have a Victor here, too. Probably just as wonky but not half as cute!). Good on you for learning to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you Victor! You look terrific. Tell your mummy Sal that I said you are terrific won't you! She did really good!

    & Sal! Your Nan is awesome. Nope not many would ask to cuddle a panda, but like you said, if you don't ask you won't know will you? Cool! I think you look a bit like her. Cool! & I reckon you are audacious too - just like her...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sound of your Nan, love that pic, but most of all I LOVE VICTOR!!!
    He is so Victor too, and sooo wonderful Sally. perfectly delicious.xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the picture of your grandmother! AND Victor is adorable!! Really. I want to make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story! I love how Victor and the photo are displayed together and their stories are now entwined.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is so gorgeous! A great tribute to your gran! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. very cute Victor! SAl that's awesome!
    do you think this Victor is in infertile too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She would have loved him - how cute and what a lovely story - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Victor, nice to meet you, you;ll have a great time living with Sal, she's lots of fun.
    Just make sure you keep an eye on those WIP's she has stored at her place, and check she's finishing a few!
    Hey Sal, love your Nan's spirit - I think 'chutzpah' is the word Jewish people use - sounds like it sums her up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a sweet post and you are amazing to be able to crochet Victor I have been trying to crochet (and knit more than scarves) for years and I am definately a lost cause!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy reading about other people's Nan's, and your Nan sounds super fantastic, a real goer! What an excellent role model and how nice to have her sitting there, next to the very dapper Victor. I especially also love the whole panda theme, gorgeous. I really loved this post, keep 'em coming! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I Love this post! Reminds me of my grandma :-) Victor is a sweetie too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Victor is adorable, but I wonder how much of Nan made it into you.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. love it!! love the whole story and Victor is the coolest panda.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Victor he's so cute Sal and your Nan sounds like a lady with spunk. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.