Monday, March 19, 2012

lisette sew-along :: ta-dah

lisette continental dress

Ta-dah! My Lisette Continental Dress is finished.

A very easy pattern indeed. Theoretically it should have been whipped up in an afternoon but it wasn’t. Noticing that there was a 7½” ease I was in two minds about what size to choose… and after flaffing around with the yellow toile I finally read the pattern sheet more comprehensively and decided to adjust with a smaller size up top than below.

reading the instructionsaltering the pattern

Then it was a matter of stealing moments to make this frock (it really is a frock don’t you think?). I was in high demand all week, it is often the way when the kiddos aren’t feeling their best. Mama is the one to cuddle, the one to hang out with… “MAMA!!!!” I was being called for left, right and centre so this dress was constructed during stolen moments.

stolen moments Swinging

 

Some late at night, others during the day sitting in the lounge chair outside enjoying the cooler yet sunny days, watching children play or baby O swing.

I hand sewed the binding and the hems . Whilst it does add time it also means the project is more portable. This is one of the reasons I really, like ruly truly, enjoyed the process of constructing this frock (because really it is a frock not a dress) It was lazy. Sitting in the sun sewing by hand, the calming motion, so cathartic. Perfect.

 

 

 

 

Good thing I did enjoy the process because being a breast feeding mama I’m not going to get a chance to wear this dress for sometime yet. Whilst I’m not shy feeding in public I do draw the line at pulling up a dress so that not-so-little-anymore baby O can have a feed - especially since I’m still in my maternity knickers!  Not to worry, I will wear it next Saturday to my sewing guild meeting (when I am sans baby!) and then it will go into the closet ready for next summer. Then I am sure it will get regular wear.

I am so pleased with the fabric that I used. It is 96% cotton/4% spandex sateen and it has a lovely drape coupled with a sweet hint of stretch. It is very comfortable to wear; not too heavy, not too light. The pattern reminds me of my Nan. The colour and design. There is something about it that just makes me think of her but I can’t explain exactly what. Perhaps the pattern looks a little Samoan and Nan and I used to discuss Margaret Mead and nature versus nurture quite a bit. It was a shared topic of interest. Maybe not. Memory is a funny thing isn’t it? 

Now before I run off to answer the children’s call…

running on my way

I’ll leave you with some more, somewhat awkward images, or me modelling my new frock. Enjoy them because I’m heading back to my natural place behind the lens.

feeling like a dork posing for photos! 

Not too late to join in … head on over to Cam’s sign-up page.

30 comments:

  1. Well. Frankly, I think you rock the front of the lens in your FROCK.

    (because it is, indeed, a frock, not a dress).

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic! And you rock infront of the lens too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! It looks amazing on- especially with those shoes. How cool is your last pic/s?!

    Sounds like you are quite attached to your dress too haha. That is a GOOD thing because it means you will get lots of wear out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! & quite a tah-dah moment it is! Well worth the effort! It looks great on you! I'm not a frock girl but you so definitely are! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love a good frock and yours is a frock to love.. the fabric is divine. it looks gorgeous on you. great job, great post

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's soooo lovely to see you in front of the lens Sal... and you're totally rocking that frock!

    Until now, I had no clue what 'ease' actually meant in a pattern. Duh!!!

    Loving that last pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your photo shoot!! And I know how you feel, I had a favorite dress (sort of a t-shirt dress, but made of linen, with buttons down the front, bought, not hand-sewn) that I didn't wear for 7 or 8 years because of nursing kids. Dresses just weren't in my wardrobe! (They probably won't thank us later, but hey, that's okay too.) You enjoy that fabulous dress when you can and it'll be there waiting for you when you're ready. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah lady, you look amazing! Love that style it's totally flattering..great job :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress is GORGEOUS and so are YOU!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your version - your fabric is gorgeous! And I still dont know what 'ease' means!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go girl . It is a damm pretty frock and how pretty are you too.

    I really want to sew something I can wear this year. I just stopped breast feeding 2 days ago, not that I fed in public of late but now thinking about a new me outfit.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow !! what a stunning dress, it really suits you sally. the more i see of this sew a long the more im tempted!! great job on the photos on the blog. how did you do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, both the frock and you! Love the 'animation' at the bottom, you look so happy! Either 'yay, new frock' or 'yay, it's done' hahah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks lovely, Sal. And I hear you on the posing thing lol.

    I haven't signed up bu thave the pattern on its way. Not sure that it will suit me but that hasn't ever stopped me :P

    Tas

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woo hoo very lovely indeed, you are a clever lady. Love your photos too and your giggle:) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow wow and WOWWwww

    well done. I really like the fabric as well.

    Way to go : o )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! And I love your little animation :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous clever lady! (Love your shoes too.) When do you find the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks super! One Super Frock! This time next year, lots of wearing ahead. No need for knicker flashing, I agree. Love the photos of you modeling the dress, sorry, frock too, you do just fine in front of the camera

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful ... and I agree on it being post breastfeeding couture ... does one ever get out of big knickers?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Sal, you have just made me feel happy and smile and think, as I have often before, I can't wait to meet you one of these days! What a fun photo shoot- and good on you for stealing some moments, great frock!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous frock lady! I loved that fabric when you first posted it and think you've done a great job. I'm guessing ease is the difference between fit and your regular size? I have no idea really... Fab photos too! Don't be scared to pop in front of the lens a bit more, you look great! Now to get my skates on and finish mine! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Doesn't our fabric look cute! Didn't know it had spandex. (I blogged my top.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So lovely to see you in front of the lens. This made me smile. And the frock {it's totally a frock} is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is one gorgeous frock and one gorgeous mama! Well done you did a super job. Baby O looks so sweet in his little swing seat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. most definitely a frock, and a fabulous one at that!
    i LOVE that pattern and it looks fantastic on you :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm late to this party - but that is one ace frock Sal. and lovely to see you as always!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your dress looks wonderful, beautiful fabric you have chosen and what a fun bunch of photos. (And snap, I won't be using mine either until the babe has weaned.)

    ReplyDelete
  29. pretty dress & very pretty lady!
    love the photoshoot Sal.
    gorgeous little baby O in the swing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. Frock on! Sorry - couldn't help myself. I'm glad you put a close up of the fabric, as it looks great from afar, but I like the green details upon closer inspection. What a great job! Thanks for the comment over at my place about the ease. I'm going to just dive in soon and see what comes of it!! Eek...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.