I’ve sort of sewed a toiled of the Lisette continental dress pattern. Sort of because it isn’t the length of the dress, sort of because I’ve used a light voile whereas I intend to use a heavier cotton for the real McCoy and sort of because it isn’t hemmed yet.
The pattern is so simple that a toile really isn’t necessary but I noticed that the pattern has an ease of 7½" and I’m between sizes. The plan was to have a quick run through first of all to see how that pattern fits before cutting the fabric I’ve chosen for the dress.
I’m glad I did. I gave Bec’s idea of using shirring elastic for the gathers a go and somehow stuffed it up. Perhaps it is because the voile is so light weight? Not sure. Due to limited fabric the binding for the neckline was not cut strictly on the bias. This has twisted the neckline, which probably could almost look like a feature if the gathers were so chunky and just wrong!
The arm holes are a little gape-ish and this is where I think I might have a go at adjusting the pattern. There is, however, a nagging thought that perhaps with the heavier material and the extra length this won’t be needed. I’ll just think about it some more me thinks… and perhaps even turn to my dear friend Google for some help learning to adjust patterns.
… and here is a sample of why I don’t take more photos of myself modelling garments! One of the shots you can’t even see the twisted neckline I’m trying to show you. Mmmm. I better stick to just one side of the lens me thinks.
I’m off to unpick the neckline (thank goodness I hand stitched it – easy peasy to pick apart), stew the idea of adjusting the arm holes in my head and determine a length for this voile top… and then it is time to cut into the “real” fabric.
Linking up with the creative crew on a Thursday.