Tuesday, June 12, 2012

were you born to knit? come learn with me and keep a child warm

The knitting bug has bit. After the success of my first project I have now managed to complete another project – my first knitted dishcloth. For the doll scarf I cast on ten stitches, deliberately making mistakes so that I could practise unravelling, un-knitting and tinking. I cast on thirty-three stitches for the dishcloth. Learning to fix mistakes is an important part of my learning process, I feel more able to go forward the better I understand how to go back. Knowing how to address mistakes means I am less afraid to make them – it’s liberating.

a knitted dishcloth

This learning to knit process gig wouldn’t have been possible without the great resources on the inter-webs. Some of my favourite online videos include:

forty four stitches cast on

Now I am taking another small step in my knitting journey and casting on forty-four stitches with the aim of knitting a square. Not just any square though. A “born to knit” square. The idea is to knit squares that will be sewn together to make a blanket for the Save The Children charity. Each blanket is made of sixteen 20x20cm knitted squares.

Are you learning to knit too? Why don’t you practice your garter stitch skills with me and knit a square? If you knit a square, or two if the bug bites, then post it to me and I’ll sew it together into a blanket for a vulnerable child and send the completed blanket to Save The Children.

To participate you’ll need to get yourself 4mm knitting needles, a ball of pure wool and cast on forty-four stitches and start clickety-clacking. If you start to lose heart you can remind yourself that a small child is depending on you to keep them warm.

So how about it?

Beginner knitters sign up below and commit to knitting a square for a vunerable child by August. That gives me time to sew them together and post them off. Sign up now and then once you’ve finished your square(s) send me an email and I’ll let you know the address to send them.

Experienced knitters you can cheer us on with lots of advice, tips and cheering from the side-lines… and if we can’t get sixteen squares cast off our needles perhaps you can throw in a square or two at the end?

18 comments:

  1. I'm cheering! I love your idea - be sure to let me know if you need a few extra squares at the end :). I know you will be blessed for undertaking such a generous project. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true Sally. It's the mistakes that make the stitching clearer and takes the fear out of knitting. Understanding the stitch not only forwards but backwards means you can pull out or repair with confidence. Even so, I have been knitting for 40yrs now and still I find the odd mistake even in finished pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just what I need to get going with knitting, I had grand ideas this winter to knit some socks (pretty silly for a beginner like me) but after trying a few times to cast on and knit a few lines have given up in sheer frustration and have decided to start at the beginning and just last week enrolled for a knitting course with craftsy, so super excited to have a go at this, have found myself some 4mm needles and now will see what wool I have to use, this is perfect timing and can't wait to knit a long with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful project! SO glad the bug has finally bitten, I have to say I've been really enjoying knitting ever since returning to it after my hiatus. There is something lovely about it in it's own right.
    I love how you're making mistakes on purpose to learn how to fix them, because that's the biggest thing in knitting and it's not as easy as in crochet to fix mistakes.
    a great way to learn.
    good luck, and i'll be back with plenty of cheering!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup I am in. I hope you dont mind if I use your photo to post and share : o )

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yay, count me in too :) i can definetely manage a sqaure of the same stitch!! love the fact its for charity too :) cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) This is great! I have been working on a blanket similar to this for...ages but a bit bigger for a more lap rug! The dish cloth is excellent too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sally - are you going for a particular colour theme for your blanket and plain colours or what ever is in the stash? I have some multicoloured wool but plain as well and wanted to make sure they blended in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any colour will be fine - I think the main thing is that it is 100% wool - I imagine that this is for safety reasons, wool being more fire resistant than other fibres. These things have a habit of coming together - lets leave it to the powers that be and trust that the blanket will come together and radiate the love with which it will be made.

      Delete
  9. Sally I am so impressed with your knitting efforts, you have picked it up so fast .
    This blanket project is wonderful, let me know if you need some extra squares done, am only too happy to participate :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the linkyloos! Knitting is next on my 'teach yourself from google' crafty endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sally I am a complete novice knitter, I don't speak 'wooly craft' at all as you know, so I wondered what ply would the wool need to be??
    Fingers crossed I get it right, thanks for the links to how to do it, I will be referring to them a lot I think!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an excellent cause, I'm sure I can get off a square or two! No doubt they will be a bit wonky though. Good incentive to do knitting practise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope it's OK that I am not novice - the vulnerable child bit got me and I wanted to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love you dish cloth I have been doing some Knitting this year and love it. Could you give me the pattern to the dishcloth and what cotton you used thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will cheer you on :) And what a lovely way to learn to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you still needing squares for the blanket? Or is it all over?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.