Tuesday, August 27, 2013

weaving in the ends

O's dino jumper
Life is less tangled than it was a month a go. I’m on maternity leave now and in the process of weaving in life’s odd threads in an effort to be in a clear place – physically and mentally – for the birth of our fourth child. Four weeks today until the due date, but my vibe is that this babe will come early. Of course no one knows – and if this pregnancy has taught me anything it is that I know nothing.
I know too that when the time comes I will not be as organised as I will like. I never will be. Life won’t be all neat and tidy in waiting for our newest addition. The curve balls and the unexpected will keep coming and there will never be enough hours in the day to accomplish all that I desire.
I’m getting better at dealing with the unexpected. Since first becoming a parent I am better at making do, making the best of and not sweating the little things.
It was O.’s second birthday on Friday. It was not the perfect day. I had not slept at all the night before struck down with an awful vomitous gastro bug and overpowering Braxton hicks contractions (so strong that at times I wondered if I was indeed going into labour), Ms. M was ill with the same bug too. There had been no time to bake a cake, wrap presents, make cupcakes to take to daycare. Everything was chaotic and a mess.
on his birthday
Dada Dave stepped up and made cupcakes in the morning to take to daycare, taking the day off work to care for me he also got all the gifts wrapped and made a simple birthday cake for the boy. In the afternoon O. opened gifts, ate cake, played with balloons and enjoyed fish ‘n’ chips from the local takeout for dinner. He was happy and delighted, relishing all the special attention.  My plan had been opening gifts in the morning, a short day at daycare and an informal afternoon party with kids in the street celebrating with a special cake and party foods made by me. None of it happened… and it didn’t matter in the least.  The day was what it was and he had a fabulous time. And better still I didn’t beat myself up about the fact that nothing had gone to plan – rather I sat back and observed my youngest son thoroughly enjoy his birthday afternoon and evening.
Once everyone was feeling better – in particular Ms. M who has had the gastro bug worse than anyone else this time around – we made a little party with our neighbours.
row row your boat birthday cake
It has become tradition that for a child’s second birthday I make their birthday cake according to their favourite nursery rhyme. I do so hope you can tell what song O. loves me to sing with him… over and over and over and over again!!!
blowing out the canldes a second time
There certainly were no complaints from O. about singing Happy Birthday again and blowing out more candles. At two years he might not have that many words but I can assure you that “cake” is amongst those he has.
There were however complaints about the dinosaur jumper that I spent weeks and weeks and weeks knitting him. The neck is too small. Try as we might we just can’t seem to get it over his head!!! Talk about a curve ball. Another life and crafty lesson – check sizing as you go!!! Not sure what I’m going to do about fixing it. First up I think I might throw it in a bucket of warm water and see if I can stretch the neck opening. Any suggestions???
Perhaps it is the hormones, or perhaps it is just maturing and embracing a better perspective on stuff – but whilst I was a little disappointed that the jumper didn't fit I mostly saw the funny side. The ridiculousness of spending so much time making something at this time cannot be worn at all. Quite amusing indeed… until this morning when I woke up sweating the fact that perhaps it is a premonition, a metaphor, a warning of my pending birth!!!
Other weaving in of life’s ends has included getting out to catch a flick with a dear friend, volunteering to be parent helper for Ms. M’s kindy class, attending E.’s book week assembly, and making time special one on one time with each of the kiddos.
Items on the “to-do” list unchecked out number those ticked off. I still need to move my sewing things out of the grey room ready for the great bedroom re-shuffle, I need to pack a bag to take to the hospital, write a birth plan, buy a new car that the family will fit in and sort out all the car seats, organise a new pram and sell the old one, sort through and wash the baby clothes, make some frozen dinners to store in the freezer… oh my… perhaps I am better off not to think of it. I certainly won’t be getting into the long list of unfinished crafty projects.
So there you have it… I best be off an weave in some more ends.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no, what a pity about the neckline because it is a very sweet little jumper indeed, and even finished on time for the birthday too! Good luck with the stretching of it, surely there must be some way you can stitch down the front and then slice it a little bit to make it more of a v-neck if the stretching doesn't work?

    Happy birthday to O as well! What a lovely cake you made. I can see Row, row the boat there very easily.

    There are a few things on that list, big things too! I'm sure you will get the essentials like a new car sorted out and the rest will just follow through as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy bday to little O. a shame you were feeling so awfully sick (especially being heavily pregnant) fantastic cake made, i love it :)My mister 2 loves that song too :) enjoy the maternity break, sounds like you definetely need it. cant wait to hear more news about the impending arrival :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sally...take a breathe and make sure there is time for you to pop your feet up. All will be well and everyone will survive if the bedrooms aren't shuffled and the meals aren't all stocked in the freezer. Sounds like a lovely birthday celebration even though our best laid plans go south sometimes. Take care and here's to a peaceful restful next few weeks.

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The jumper is so adorable and I really hope you manage to stretch that pesky neckline! I think thats why I swapped from knitting to sewing way back when, I was forever spending a lifetime knitting something for it only not to fit - it drove me doolally! The cake looks yummy - hope you all had a lovely birthday celebration

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH what a terrible shame about the jumper, as it's just about one of the cutest knitted jumpers I've ever seen.
    I'm also sorry you've been so sick lovely one, remember to take care of you in this busy time
    the cake looks amazing ( and I love that you have a 2nd birthday cake ritual) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phew. 4 weeks to go - what a great attitude you have! I am still struggling with the wanting to get it all sorted and organised. I really need to learn to let go more. I love the way you have reflected on O's birthday, it makes me smile. Here's hoping that you get enough time to finish enough things off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the jumper. Those necks are a right pain. Have you wrangled it yet? Pick up more stitches in the neck if you had to pick them up to make it a bit bigger.

    Love the cakes. Glad he had a great day. Sorry you were sick though. But at 2 they don't care. Can't believe he is 2 already!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.