Tuesday, October 15, 2013

a nursery rhyme quilt

nursery rhyme quilt

Unveiling my third quilt, the first undertaken following a pattern. I didn’t do so well following the pattern (found in this book) exactly… I reduced the number of squares making the quilt smaller. Ever since the bedroom reshuffle and the loss of my crafty “grey room” I’ve been thinking of stash busting – there is only so much space for my stash under our bed!!!  It is tricky to gauge how successful the stash busting element of this project was – “I need to buy fabric to bust fabric” may have passed my lips as I asked Dave to drop me off at Spotlight to buy the khaki green sashing fabric. Still I did manage to use up nursery rhyme printed fabric. Rather than buying batting I used up excess white polar fleece which makes the quilt a lovely light weight. For the backing used some plain old calico taking up space in the cupboard. There is something really charming about the simplicity of natural calico. I’ve always liked it.

stitches

Originally I attempted quilting in the ditch. It didn’t work well. I couldn’t stay in the ditch and it just looked too wrong with the contrasting cotton. Stitching next to the seams seemed to work so much better. I am really chuffed with the end result.

labelled sally made 

Nursery Rhyme Quilt

1160mm x 1160mm (45” x 45”)

Polar fleece batting

Plain natural calico backing

Quilting next to the ditch in contrasting cotton thread

********

… and because I simply can’t help myself – some gratuitous photos of my darling baby boy on said quilt:

my darling acemy ace on nursery rhyme quilt

8 comments:

  1. Sally that is gorgeous - both baby and quilt. DON'T you just hate that : buying fabric to bust fabric, then I buy other "stuff" whilst i am there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sally,

    Amazing quilt and the little one looks right at home on his quilt. Gotta love stash busting.

    Have a fabulous Wednesday.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, I love it! I can't believe how many quilts you've made and in such a short space of time! A definite case of the quilting bug? Also, I must admit I would have been feeling very deprived if there was no gratuitous gorgeous baby photos included!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! And the quilt is nice too :) I would normally think quilting outside the ditch would be harder, but you have done a great job! It counts as stash busting in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous and that teeny tiny baby is the sweetest too... :)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing that you have the time and energy to make something so lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. great effort Sal! It must be a decent size still cos bubby looks tiny on it! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh, this quilt if gorgeous! (as is baby Ace!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.